Edge of Darkness: The Broken Circle
Dracnus's Orders of Battle
After the unification of the scattered Dark Elven tribes and before the events of the Demon War, the newly created Dark Elven Empire was expanding throughout the upper Darkspire mountain range that separated the northern human nations from the exotic lands of the east.
During this time, Dracnus instructed his army of Unholy Warriors in the arts of combat as taught to him by Jagdar, Watcher of War. In addition, Dracnus created a series of guidelines for Dark Elves to follow, keeping them from making the mistakes of earlier years, both by Dark Elves and by other races, when at war. These five tenets became known the Orders of Battle.
1. A dark elf was never to underestimate an opponent no matter how weak he may appear to be.
2. Patience was the virtue of victory. Let your opponent strike out at you with all his force. Allow him to overextend his balance or tire himself out.
3. A fighting force is only as strong as its weakest member. If there is a conflict in which one part of the battle line is weakening and you are doing nothing, it is your duty to help your countrymen by reinforcing them even if they are not members of your family or your unit.
4. Courage was to be rewarded and death is to be honored. If a dark elf died heroically in the service of Jagdar and the Dark Watchers, they would have places of honor and power in Hell reserved for them upon their death. Those dark elves who betrayed their countrymen, were cowardly, or merely set about to gain power for themselves without paying the necessary homage to the Dark Watchers would be slaves and beggars in the afterlife.
5. While expending one’s life to further the cause of their patron Watchers was good, wisdom and judgement must be used. If the battle was obviously lost, then no honor is gained from dying in vain.